The Holy Week of Toledo, declared of ” International Tourist Interest ” is an unavoidable appointment for those who wish to know some of the most secret ” mysteries” of Toledo.
Few cities so masterfully combine the urban environment with the parade of brotherhoods and brotherhoods. (From 14 to 21 April 2019) – Updated with the full programme!
From 14 to 21 April 2019, all the information about Holy Week in Toledo: processions, cults, Culturel activities, special guided tours.
The most spectacular Holy Week in Spain takes place in Toledo. The Brotherhoods and Brotherhoods of Toledo have authentic works of art that are taken to the streets of the city these days.
Each processional step is worthy to be contemplated, in addition it is practically impossible for the visitor to go to all the appointments, reason why we will select some developing the most outstanding ones in this article, although we recommend to consult the official program for if the visitor considers that others can be adjusted more to his necessities.
Among the novelties of this celebration, the Mayoress Milagros Tolón has advanced that thanks to the daily and constant work of about 4,000 brotherhoods toledanos ” the image of the Borriquita will go out on Sunday to Ramos on shoulders, the Virgin of Charity will wear a new mantle painted by hand, and the image of the Resurrected Christ that processions on Easter Sunday has been restored, also several brotherhoods have renewed habits, mantles and walkways. (More information)
Below we offer a summary of all the processions that will take place in Toledo during Easter 2019:
Poster Easter Toledo 2019
Toledo Easter Week Program 2019
Friday of Dolores, April 12:
- Procession of Our Lady of Solitude . 23:00 hours. Mozarabic Parish of Saints Just and Rufina.
Saturday, April 13
- Transfer Cristo Nazareno Cautivo . 12:00 hours. Departure: Convent of the Conceptionists.
Palm Sunday, April 14:
- Procession of Palms and Branches of the Holy Primate Cathedral. Start: 11 hours from the Cathedral.
- Procession of Christ the King on his triumphal entry into Jerusalem (La Borriquita) 18 hours. From the Mozarabic Parish of Saints Just and Rufina.
Holy Monday, April 15:
- Via Crucis. Transfer of the Holy Christ of the Vega. Departure at 19:00 hours from the Basilica of Cristo de la Vega to the Cathedral.
- Brotherhood of the Nazarene Christ Captive of Toledo . Beginning at 21 hours from the Cathedral.
- Brotherhood of the Most Holy Christ of Hope. Beginning at 23:30 hours from St. Andrew’s Church.
Holy Tuesday, April 16:
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Love. Departure from the Convent of Santa Isabel at 22:00 hours.
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Mercy and Loneliness of the Poor (Confraternity of Holy Charity) . Departure at 22:45 from the Church of Saints Just and Rufina.
- Brotherhood of the Most Holy Christ of the Angels. Departure from the Convent of Augustinian Gaitan Sisters at 23:00 h. We also tell you curiosities: The evocative Toledan alley of Jesus and Mary wraps up the image of the Holy Christ while choral songs are heard that create a spiritual and intimate atmosphere as the procession passes by.
Holy Wednesday, April 17:
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Humility. From 21:00 hours leaving the Church of San Juan de los Reyes.
- Penitent Knights of Christ the Redeemer . Impressive processional route with lanterns. Departure from the Monastery of Santo Domingo el Real at 23.30 hours. Curiosities: The procession is organized as a Way of the Cross, with fourteen Stations, in which fragments of the Miserere are sung and where the confreres carrying the image are relieved, organized by sections delimited by brothers, with a cross on their shoulders. A bell, carried by two penitent knights, marks the time of the prayer of the Miserere – Official website of the Confraternity.
Holy Thursday, April 18:
- Brotherhood of Our Lady of Amparo . Departure from the S.I. Primate Cathedral at 20:30 h on Maundy Thursday. And the curiosities: The image bears on its mantle the Gold Medal of the city of Toledo, which was awarded to the Toledo Arms Factory and offered by it to the Virgin.
Good Friday, April 19:
- Procession of the Hermandad del Stmo. Cristo de la Vega . There is a well-known legend about this Christ. Departure from the Cathedral at 0 a.m. on Good Friday. Curiosities: In front of the Door of Forgiveness of the Cathedral, the seminarians from Toledo chant motets to the passage of the image of Christ. Passing in front of the Convent of Santo Domingo el Real, a representation of the Chapter of Penitent Knights of Christ the Redeemer comes out with its titular image to the portico to receive the Brotherhood of Christ of the Vega and sing the Miserere to both Christs.
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of the Expiration . Departure at 3:00 hours from the Monastery of Santo Domingo El Antiguo. One of the most impressive processions in Toledo, in the early hours of the morning. It goes through the sheds and returns to the Monastery.
- Procession of Jesus of Nazareth and his Most Holy Mother of Solitude. Beginning at 6:30 a.m. of the Church of Santiago el Mayor. The Holy Encounter takes place at the New Gate, up to the Church of Santiago el Mayor.
- Procession of the Holy Burial. Most Holy Christ of Mercy and Most Holy Mary of Charity. Departure: 19:30 hours from the Church of Santa Leocadia.
- Procession of the Holy Burial. Most Holy Christ of the Faith and Our Lady of the Rosary. Departure: 19:30 hours from the Church of the Savior.
- Procession of the Holy Burial: Most Holy Christ of the Descent. Our Mother Mary Immaculate in her Greatest Anguish and Pity. Holy Sepulchre. Lignum Crucis. Our Lady of Solitude. Departure at 8 p.m. from the Mozarabic Parish of Saints Just and Rufina.
- Lignum Crucis . 20:15, departing from the Church of Santa Eulalia.
The Chapter of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre of Toledo . Departure at 20:00 h from the Mozarabic Parish of Santas Justa and Rufina – Official website.
Curiosities: With this chapter, the 27 armours that guard the image of the Holy Sepulchre, property of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Solitude, parade.