The most spectacular Holy Week in Spain takes place in Toledo. Declared of ” International Tourist Interest ” is an unavoidable appointment for those who wish to know some of the ” mysteries” most secret of Toledo. Few cities so masterfully combine the urban environment with the parade of brotherhoods and brotherhoods (from 25 March to 1 April 2018) – Updated with the official programme Semana Santa Toledo 2018
Check out the Easter 2019 program here.
From 25 March to 1 April 2018, all the information about Holy Week in Toledo: processions, cults, Culturel activities, special guided tours.
The Brotherhoods and Brotherhoods of Toledo have authentic works of art that are brought out into the streets of the city these days. Each processional step is worth contemplating. It is practically impossible for the visitor to go to all the appointments, for what we will select some developing the most outstanding ones in this article, although we recommend to consult the official program for if the visitor considers that others can be adjusted more to his needs. Below we offer a summary of all the processions that will take place in Toledo during Easter 2018:
Poster Easter Toledo 2018 by Rafael Viejo Zaragoza
Toledo Easter Week Program 2018
Easter Monday, 26 March:
- Via Crucis. Transfer of the Holy Christ of the Vega. Departure at 19:30 from the Basilica of Cristo de la Vega to the Cathedral.
- Brotherhood of the Nazarene Christ Captive of Toledo . Beginning at 21 hours from the Cathedral.
- Brotherhood of the Most Holy Christ of Hope. Beginning at 23:30 hours from St. Andrew’s Church.
Holy Tuesday, March 27th:
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Love. Departure from the Convent of Santa Isabel at 22:30 hours.
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Mercy and Loneliness of the Poor . Departure at 22:45 from the Church of Saints Just and Rufina
- Brotherhood of the Most Holy Christ of the Angels. Departure from the Convent of Augustinian Gaitan Sisters at 23:00 h. Curiosities: The evocative Toledan alley of Jesus and Mary wraps up the image of the Holy Christ while choral songs are heard that create a spiritual and intimate atmosphere as the procession passes by.
Holy Wednesday, March 28th:
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of Humility. From 9 p.m. leaving the Church of San Juan de los Reyes.
- Penitent Knights of Christ the Redeemer . Impressive processional route with lanterns. Departure from the Monastery of Santo Domingo el Real at 23.30 hours. Curiosities: The procession is organized as a Way of the Cross, with fourteen Stations, in which fragments of the Miserere are sung and where the confreres carrying the image are relieved, organized by sections delimited by brothers, with a cross on their shoulders. A bell, carried by two penitent knights, marks the time of the prayer of the Miserere – Official website of the Confraternity.
Holy Thursday, March 29th:
- Brotherhood of Our Lady of Amparo . Departure from the S.I. Primate Cathedral at 20:30 h on Maundy Thursday. Curiosities: The image bears on its mantle the Gold Medal of the city of Toledo, which was awarded to the Toledo Arms Factory and offered by it to the Virgin.
Good Friday, March 30th:
- Procession of the Hermandad del Stmo. Cristo de la Vega . There is a well-known legend about this Christ. Departure from the Cathedral at 0 a.m. on Good Friday. Curiosities: In front of the Door of Forgiveness of the Cathedral, the seminarians from Toledo chant motets to the passage of the image of Christ. Passing in front of the Convent of Santo Domingo el Real, a representation of the Chapter of Penitent Knights of Christ the Redeemer comes out with its titular image to the portico to receive the Brotherhood of Christ of the Vega and sing the Miserere to both Christs.
- Procession of the Most Holy Christ of the Expiration . Departure at 3:00 hours from the Monastery of Santo Domingo El Antiguo. One of the most impressive processions in Toledo, in the early hours of the morning. It goes through the sheds and returns to the Monastery.
- Procession of Jesus of Nazareth and his Most Holy Mother of Solitude. Beginning at 6:30 a.m. of the Church of Santiago el Mayor. The Holy Encounter takes place at the New Gate, up to the Church of Santiago el Mayor.
- Procession of the Holy Burial. Most Holy Christ of Mercy and Most Holy Mary of Charity. Departure: 19:30 hours from the Church of Santa Leocadia.
- Procession of the Holy Burial. Most Holy Christ of the Faith and Our Lady of the Rosary. Departure: 19:30 hours from the Church of the Savior.
- Procession of the Holy Burial: Most Holy Christ of the Descent. Our Mother Mary Immaculate in her Greatest Anguish and Pity. Holy Sepulchre. Lignum Crucis. Our Lady of Solitude. Departure at 8 p.m. from the Mozarabic Parish of Saints Just and Rufina.
, photographer Toledo (see more)
The Chapter of the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre of Toledo . Departure at 20:00 h from the Mozarabic Parish of Santas Justa and Rufina – Official website. Curiosities: With this chapter, the 27 armours that guard the image of the Holy Sepulchre, property of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Solitude, parade.
Holy Saturday, 31 March:
Penitential Confraternity of the Christ of Good Death Departure at 1:00 in the morning of Holy Saturday from the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes.
Curiosities: The Way of the Cross stops at two of the convents of the Franciscan nuns of Santa Clara and Santa Isabel de los Reyes.
The Guide Cross is luminous and can be read on it: ” Hear the voice that warns you that everything is illusion except death” .
- Brotherhood of the Virgin of Joy. 01:00 h Easter Sunday of the Parish of San Andrés. Curiosities: The meeting takes place in the Plaza de Santa Isabel, to which the images arrive by different itineraries, to propitiate the Meeting. After this, the image of the Virgin strips off the black mantle and wears a white mantle as a sign of Joy. At the end of the sermon of the parish priest of San Andrés, the images return between songs of Gloria and Alleluia to the parish.
In short, any procession of those carried out during Holy Week Toledo 2018 is worth contemplating and participating in the silence and recollection that accompany the penitents.
There are many more activities to do in Toledo during these days. Visit the following links to see other processional itineraries, other acts of worship and activities organised by Toledo City Council.
- Official website of Holy Week in Toledo (programme, routes, information about Brotherhoods…)
- Blog ” Processions in Toledo” , with photographs.
OFFICIAL PROGRAMME TO DOWNLOAD IN PDF
Click here to download the Easter 2018 hand program in Toledo
ON EASTER, MAKE A GUIDED VISIT IN TOLEDO, DAY OR NIGHT
If you want to know the ” other Toledo” , which is not usually shown, the most secret, make a route with toledospain.info guided tours during Easter in Toledo. For those days they are programming unique and very special events and routes that you will be able to consult in their Web, even for the smallest ones.
Night guided tour of Toledo – Routes of Toledo
Videos of Holy Week in Toledo
And finally some videos that will help you to know a little better the Toledana Easter:
Stations of the Cross – Holy Week in Toledo from fmcreativa Studio on Vimeo.